Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trip to the Sequoias

I did some training in Wood Lake, CA. I stayed up the road in Three Rivers, which is gateway to the Sequoia National Forest. The winding roads of WVa have nothing on the road I took to the General Sherman tree! While the actual distance wasn't too far, I climbed from 800 feet to 4000 feet to get to the big trees. They were magnificant! I thought to myself, while standing in a grove that was soundless except for the russle of the leaves, "God must live here."




The outer bark of these giants is soft, like cork. It is about 8 inches thick. Inside, the wood is very hard. The General Sherman tree has more wood in it that any other tree in the world, though I did see some that were taller. It is estimated to be 2200 years old and is 275 feet tall, weighing about 1385 tons with a 103 feet circumference at the base!

1 comment:

Carter Family said...

Wow Dad, you go to the coolest places! It's nice to see you blogging again! Keep the pics coming, the kids just love to see what you're up to! Can't wait to visit in a couple weeks!

Sure love ya!

Ames